If you change your mind or don’t get the grades you need for your firm or insurance choice, you can still apply to university through UCAS Clearing.

UCAS Clearing is a second chance for students to get a place at university, by matching those that want a university place to universities with unfilled places.

When does UCAS Clearing open?

From July 5-October 21 2024, you can apply for a course using Clearing if you’re not already holding an offer from a university or college, and the course still has places.

You can use Clearing if you:

  • Didn’t get into your firm or insurance choice universities
  • Didn’t get any offers when you first applied
  • Are applying after 30 June
  • Don’t want the places you’ve been offered and use self-release to enter Clearing
  • Were unsure about university during the first round of applications and didn’t apply
  • Alternatively, if you got better grades than predicted, you may be able to find a place on a different course at a university with higher entry requirements.

Clearing can also be useful if you’ve changed your mind about the course you originally applied for and want to go for a different one.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by News Associates (@newsassociates)

How to apply for UCAS Clearing:

  1. Ask for advice
  2. See what courses are available
  3. Contact any universities or colleges you’re interested in
  4. Add your Clearing choice in your application

How much does UCAS Clearing cost?

If you originally only applied for one course for the reduced fee of £22.50, you’ll have to pay an additional £4.50 to apply through Clearing.

What is self-release?

Previously, if you wanted to change the course or university you had made your firm choice, you were required to call the university and ask for them to release you into Clearing – this was sometimes a lengthy process. Now, with self-release, you are able to release yourself into Clearing in order to take up an offer from another university.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by News Associates (@newsassociates)

How to self-release:

  1. Sign into Track and click the ‘Decline my place’ button on your homepage.
  2. You will then be taken to a page that explains what you are able to do and there is a question you need to answer in order to confirm you definitely want to release yourself in to Clearing.
  3. You will receive an email confirming you are in Clearing.

You can apply for our BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism degree now – here’s a link to our UCAS page. 

If you have any questions you can email us on [email protected] or call us on 0203 026 3781.

Here are the details you’ll need:

Course code: P500
Institution code: P63
Campus: London (L)

This explains our relationship with Marjon University. 

You can also apply for deferred entry at this point, if you’re looking to study with us next year in 2025.

Want to find out more? Read our guide to why you should apply to The School of Journalism here.